Recommendations wanted on C cross-compiler VMS->MS-DOS

brent@llama.Ingres.COM (Brent Williams)
Tue, 5 Jun 90 02:56:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recommendations wanted on C cross-compiler VMS->MS-DOS brent@llama.Ingres.COM (1990-06-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: brent@llama.Ingres.COM (Brent Williams)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 02:56:15 GMT

We are interested in the idea of using some of our VMS systems as
compilation servers for PC development efforts. We therefore would
be grateful for any information you might have regarding availability
and good/bad experiences you may have had with C cross-compiers
that compile source producing MS-DOS object modules under VAX/VMS.

If there is sufficient interest (& replies :-) I will summarize & post.

Thanks in advance,

-brent

[For what it's worth, when I was at Javelin in 1984 we spent a lot of time
looking at large cross-compilation engines for our DOS product and ended up
with a network of DOS machines that we found quite satisfactory. I suspect
that high-end 386 or 486 machines would be much more cost-effective and let
you use regular DOS compilers, though this is hardly the place to argue the
relative cost effectiveness of micros and minis. Reports on the state of
cross-compilation would be appreciated, who knows what I've missed. -John]