Local Optimizations (Was: Compiler Design in C How about it?)

grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (Vinod Grover)
Mon, 4 Jun 90 21:23:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Local Optimizations (Was: Compiler Design in C How about it?) grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-06-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (Vinod Grover)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 21:23:13 GMT

In article <1990Jun1.194941.5781@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> Preston Briggs <preston@rice.edu> writes:
> 1) Discussions of optimization should introduce and emphasize data flow
> analysis. Without it, all is lost.

I beg to differ with this statement. There are useful and safe optimizations
that a compiler can perform locally. By locally I mean either on a basic
block level, or at an expression level. Value Numbering, and Constant
Folding come immediately to mind. None of these require data flow analysis
in the traditional sense (i.e. requiring du or ud chains).

Vinod Grover