Re: No Aliasing Compile Option

larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
29 May 90 13:55:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: No Aliasing Compile Option markro@microsoft.UUCP (1990-05-25)
Re: No Aliasing Compile Option larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (1990-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 May 90 13:55:27 GMT

Let me stick in a plug for some work that I've done recently. Univ. of
Wisconsin Computer Science Tech Report #929** contains some measurements of
6 C programs (including gcc). The measurements were done to estimate the
potential parallelism of the programs, but as a side-effect, I measured the
number and type of loop-carried data dependences in the program. These
dependences are very frequent and give an indication of the consequences of
blindly ignoring aliases and heavily optimizing a program.

/Jim

** Copies available from Kathy Schultz (kathy@cs.wisc.edu) or

Technical Reports Librarian
Computer Sciences Department