Re: SPIM S20 MIPS Simulator

max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin)
Sat, 12 May 90 21:00:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SPIM S20 MIPS Simulator larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (1990-05-11)
Re: SPIM S20 MIPS Simulator max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (1990-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin)
Date: Sat, 12 May 90 21:00:50 GMT

In article <1990May12.042750.2554@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (James Larus) writes:
>The SPIM S20 is a software simulator that runs assembly language
>programs for the MIPS R2000/R3000 RISC computers. ...
>I wrote SPIM as the target machine for an undergraduate compiler course. ...

This sounds great. I was planning on using the DLX simulator for this
purpose (DLX is a pedagogical descendant of the MIPS architecture, used in
Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach").
I was wondering if anyone else out there has already done this (used DLX in a
compilers class) and could provide any tips on particular pitfalls or on
unexpected bonusses not to miss? If anyone, Larus included, has any
comparative remarks on SPIM vs. DLX, that would be great; my assumption is
that SPIM was not developed as a rejection of DLX, but rather predates it in
at least some relevant sense.