Re: Amsterdam Compiler Kit info wanted

cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie (Ciaran McHale)
Sat, 24 Mar 90 15:28:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Amsterdam Compiler Kit info wanted ben@tasis.utas.oz.au (Ben Lian) (1990-03-23)
Re: Amsterdam Compiler Kit info wanted cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie (1990-03-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie (Ciaran McHale)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 15:28:23 GMT

Ben Lian <ben@tasis.utas.oz.au> writes:
>I am seriously considering switching from YACC and LEX to the Amsterdam
>Compiler Kit. Is it still being distributed through UniPress Software?

SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 24, No. 11 (November 1989), pages 125--131 contains
an article about the Amsterdam Compiler Kit called "The Design of Very Fast
Portable Compilers" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum, M. Frans Kaashoek,
Koen G. Langendoen and Ceriel J.H. Jacobs. The abstract for the paper is:

The Amsterdam Compiler kit is a widely used compiler building
system. Up until now, the emphesis has been on producing good
object code. In this paper we describe recent work that has
focused on reducing compile time. The techniques described in
this paper have resulted in C compilers for the Sun-3 and VAX
that are 3 to 4 times faster than the native compilers
provided by the manufacturers.

The paper is interesting and finishes by saying

The fast compilers for C, Modula-2, and Pascal are now
available. Interested parties should contact the authors (by
email, if possible) for more information.

The address given on the front of the paper is

Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Email: ast@cs.vu.nl

Hope that's of some help,

Ciaran.
-------
cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie
[I'd still be interested to hear if there's still a source on this side
of the Atlantic. -John]