Error-recovery in public BSD yacc

djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)
2 Feb 90 03:19:33 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Error-recovery in public BSD yacc djones@megatest.uucp (1990-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Feb 90 03:19:33 GMT

Did anybody ever find out what is being done about the error-recovery
bug in public domain BSD yacc? (Remember? I has to do with bogus
default-reductions.)

I sent email to the fellow who is maintaining it -- sorry can't recall his
name. The mail did not bounce back, but I never got a reply.

What concerns me is that he indicated he might not fix the bug, because
the correct tables were larger than the incorrect ones!

He never answered the objection that if users wanted smaller tables at the
expense of error-recovery, they could get them by omiting the error-actions,
and that if they went to the trouble of writing the error-actions, they
probably did not want yacc to produce incorrect tables which would not call
them.

What's the word? Anybody know?
[From djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)]