Book recommendations: attribute grammars, denotational semantics

pfeiffer@cs.wisc.edu (Phil Pfeiffer)
Fri, 17 Nov 89 12:26:51 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book recommendations: attribute grammars, denotational semantics pfeiffer@cs.wisc.edu (1989-11-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 12:26:51 -0600
From: pfeiffer@cs.wisc.edu (Phil Pfeiffer)

[ .... Could someone suggest sources for an up-to-date introduction to
attribute grammars and denotational sematics for those of us still a
little hazy on those topics? -John]

An excellent text on denotational semantics is David Schmidt's _Denotational
Semantics: A Methodology for Language Development_. Allyn and Bacon had been
publishing Schmidt's book, but I think someone else (William C. Brown?) is
publishing it now. My copy says "copyright: 1986".

A good description of one approach to using attribute grammars is Thomas
Reps's and Tim Teitelbaum's _The Synthesizer Generator: A System for
Constructing Language Based Editors_ (c. 1989, Springer-Verlag). The book
describes the Synthesizer in detail, but it also discusses AGs and gives
example grammars.

-- Phil