Re: Graph coloring, patents

Ron Guilmette <rfg@ics.UCI.EDU>
15 Nov 89 21:43:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Graph coloring, patents preston@rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (1989-11-14)
Re: Graph coloring, patents rfg@ics.UCI.EDU (Ron Guilmette) (1989-11-15)
Re: Graph coloring, patents pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (1989-11-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ron Guilmette <rfg@ics.UCI.EDU>
Date: 15 Nov 89 21:43:11 GMT

In article <1989Nov15.010209.11362@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> Preston Briggs <preston@rice.edu> writes:
>I don't know which is more effective. I suspect (with no evidence) that
>Chow's method will be better on constrained machines (not many registers) and
>Chaitin's better otherwise. Neither seems worthwhile without some global
>optimization to provide grist for the mill.

Chow's method is always at least as good as Chaitin's graph coloring
(and sometimes better). It is likely that it will only be significantly
better on machines *without* lots of registers. That's because both of
these methods try to avoid spills. If you have a zillion registers,
you never spill with either method, so they're equal in that case.

// rfg