Re: Encrypted source as an ANDF

amos@nsc.com (Amos Shapir)
20 May 89 13:51:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Encrypted source as an ANDF worley@compass.com (1989-05-16)
Re: Encrypted source as an ANDF amos@nsc.com (1989-05-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: amos@nsc.com (Amos Shapir)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 May 89 13:51:48 GMT
Hdate: 15 Iyar 5749

In article <3935@ima.ima.isc.com> you write:
>A more extreme form of the shrouded source code idea (which I have not
>seen in practice) would be to write the software in a relatively high
>level language (Ada, Lisp, and Algol come to mind) and have it be
>translated into C. Only the original developer would have the
>efficiency of working in the higher level language, even if the C were
>comprehensible.

I have heard an urban legend that before the days of ADA, any project
for the DoD should have been provided with source code in either FORTRAN
or assembler; contractors used to program in PASCAL or another HLL,
use the compiler to generated assembly code, and deliver that to the DoD.
--
Amos Shapir amos@nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel