Re: I need answer to a simple YACC question.

megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Jones)
24 Feb 89 22:25:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
I need answer to a simple YACC question. hp-sdd!najmi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (1989-02-03)
Re: I need answer to a simple YACC question. djones@megatest.uucp (1989-02-07)
Re: I need answer to a simple YACC question. oakhill!epsilon!steve@cs.utexas.edu (1989-02-16)
Re: I need answer to a simple YACC question. megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (1989-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Feb 89 22:25:43 GMT

> In article <3328@ima.ima.isc.com>, djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones) writes:
>> [yacc error states are hard to analyze, particularly if you want to see
>> the follow sets in a particular context.]
>
> In fact here is the code that does this error dumping:

      [ code omitted... ]

Notice, I didn't say it was impossible. But it is harder than
it looks. Indeed nobody's got it yet.

Another correspondant posted some very similar code recently.

Both of these patches to yaccpar have the same bug: they don't print the
names of tokens which could have been shifted in states which got popped
from the stack due to default reductions.

See my response to the previous posting for an example of how
the posted method fails, and for a suggestion of how it might
be done correctly.

                                            Dave J.
[From megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Jones)]