Comments on and fix for old yacc bug.

djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)
14 Oct 88 01:21:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comments on and fix for old yacc bug. djones@megatest.uucp (1988-10-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Oct 88 01:21:49 GMT

I would like to thank those who responded to my inquiry about the
old yacc bug.

I was preparing a summary describing what I have learned about the
old yacc bug, but Larry Jones beat me to it. Thanks Larry.
I can, however, add a few remarks.

First of all, I would like to apologize for misspelling a word
within the text which I called a "verbatim" copy of the text
in _Introduction to Compiler Construction with Unix_ by Schreiner
and Friedman. The mistake did not occur in the original.

Mr George Friedman, one of the authors of the book, asked why I
used "sic" after the bsd release numbers. It was because I thought
it likely that someone might think I had accidentally reversed
the numbers 4.1 and 4.2 when transcribing the quoted text.

Now then...

>From article <2767@ima.ima.isc.com>, by sdrc!scjones@uunet.uu.net (Larry Jones):
> In article <2737@ima.ima.isc.com>, djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones) writes:
>> The main thing I want to know is
>> whether the Sun Unix 4.2 release 3.4 has the bug, and if so what do
>> I do about it?
>
> I can't speak for Sun or Berkeley, but I know that it's fixed on the
> version of System V Release 3.0 that I have.

It is broken in the Sun3(bsd4.2) version, release 3.4. It is also broken
in BSB 4.3. So far as I can tell, bsd 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 all contain
the identical botched "fix" for the bug.

>> Some questions"
>> 1) How one may determine whether or not a given yacc has the bug?

Mr. Larry Jones furnished us with a yacc input file, and the proper
and buggy versions of the resulting y.output. Thanks. Interestingly,
he came up with an example which was isomorphic to the one
I was going to post.

>> 2) What to do about it if you've got a buggy one?
>
> Complain to your vendor?

If you have the source, you can fix it.

Another thing you can do is to inspect the y.output file to see if you
have any defective states. The are states which can shift "error",
but have a default action other than "error".

A couple of people mentioned "bison", the gnu yacc-lookalike. It does
not have an equivalent bug. I ran the my .y file through it, and
it was accepted, but there were lots of warnings about default actions
giving incorrect types. The warnings looked wrong to me, but I guess
I could live with them. [ There has been quite a bit of discussion on
the net about exactly how restrictive the gnu copyright notice is
with regard to executables derived from gnu's equivalent of yaccpar.
Did anyone ever get the definitive answer from the FSF?]

BSD also comes with a yacc, /usr/ucb/eyacc, whose manual page
says does not have the bug. But it also does not have certain
4.1 yacc features, such as %union and %type.

>> 3) Exactly what are the consequences -- does "go into a loop" mean
>> "loop forever"?
>
> I believe it is possible to get into an infinite loop, although I haven't
> seen it happen. What I have seen is the same rule get reduced twice
> in a row even though the grammar should not allow that to occur.

Mr. Kirk Hayes says that he has seen the Xenix version go into a spin.
I've looked at the BSD 4.3 yaccpar, and it looks as though it should
always terminate, having issued at least one syntax error-message,
although I will not swear to having proved as much.

>> 4) What is the correction in 4.1? Is it in the source code?
>> 5) What is the typographical error in the correction?
>> 6) What is the "definite correction"? Do you have to have source?
>
> The correction is ridiculously simple if you have the source code - as I
> recall it consisted of changing a 2 to a 1 in one place in the code.

The fix for the old yacc bug is to change the "[1]" into "[2]"
in the following line in the procedure wract():

        if( temp1[1] > 0 ) lastred = 0;

In release 4.3, it is in file y3.c on line 288. Here's a diff
file that also adds a comment about the change:

286,288c286,302
< /* for error recovery, arrange that, if there is a shift on the
< /* error recovery token, `error', that the default be the error action */
< if( temp1[1] > 0 ) lastred = 0;
---

[From djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)]