"flex", replacement for "lex", available for beta-testing

Vern Paxson <lbl-helios!vern@lbl-rtsg.arpa>
Sat, 13 Feb 88 01:29:24 PST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"flex", replacement for "lex", available for beta-testing lbl-helios!vern@lbl-rtsg.arpa (Vern Paxson) (1988-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.unix.wizards
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 88 01:29:24 PST
From: Vern Paxson <lbl-helios!vern@lbl-rtsg.arpa>

Flex is a re-write of lex which is about 99% compatible and has some
substantial performance improvements. It went into beta-test last year,
has since had quite a bit of cleanup done to it as well as a new, fast
table representation added, and it's now ready for a second, final beta-test.
What I'm hoping for is that people with lex scanners will try running flex
on them and let me know if there are any problems. I'm hoping to complete
the beta-test and get the final release out the door by the end of March.

Flex is available via anonymous ftp from lbl-rtsg.arpa. There are two
files: "flex.readme" and "flex.beta.Z". Most likely the beta-test
distribution will also show up on some other machines, hopefully uunet.

I will be away on travel until the end of the month, so don't expect
any response to mail messages before then.

Vern

Vern Paxson vern@lbl-csam.arpa
Real Time Systems ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!vern
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (415) 486-6411
[Rich $alz tells me that it is available on uunet, for people with access
thereto. For the rest of us, it'll show up in comp.unix.sources after the
beta period. -John]