Re: What is a scoreboard?

uiucdcs!uunet!geac!daveb (David Collier-Brown)
24 Dec 87 19:20:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is a scoreboard? harvard!talcott!motcoh!mark (1987-12-14)
Re: What is a scoreboard? xyzzy!meissner@mcnc.org (1987-12-18)
Re: What is a scoreboard? uiucdcs!uunet!geac!daveb (1987-12-24)
Re: What is a scoreboard? sundc!convex!wallach@seismo.CSS.GOV (1987-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Dec 87 19:20:16 GMT
From: uiucdcs!uunet!geac!daveb (David Collier-Brown)

In article <808@ima.ISC.COM> xyzzy!meissner@mcnc.org writes:
|In article <797@ima.ISC.COM>, ...!harvard!talcott!motcoh!mark writes:
|> Can someone explain the technique of using "scoreboards" in
|> compiler development? Any references?
|
| I don't have any hard references, but when I ran into the CDC 6600
|hardware it was described as having a hardware scoreboard.

    It could also be a misnomer for a "register history", which is
useful on machines without any visible parallellization, to keep
track of what register currently holds what variable or value. For
an example, see:
    Jim Welsh and Michael McKag, "Structures Systems Programming",
Englewood Cliffs, N.J. (Prentice-Hall), 1980.