Re: Assemblers can be fast

ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!sun!wrs!dg (David Goodenough)
22 Dec 87 20:46:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assemblers can be fast yale!harvard!ames!hplabs!hpccc!culberts (Bruce Culbertson) (1987-12-16)
Re: Assemblers can be fast ihnp4!usl!usl-pc!jpdres10 (Green Eric Lee) (1987-12-19)
Re: Assemblers can be fast ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!sun!wrs!dg (1987-12-22)
Re: Assemblers can be fast rcodi@yabbie.rmit.oz.au (1988-01-04)
Re: Assemblers can be fast andrew@frip.gwd.tek.com (1988-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Dec 87 20:46:35 GMT
From: ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!sun!wrs!dg (David Goodenough)

In article <813@ima.ISC.COM> Green Eric Lee <ihnp4!usl!usl-pc!jpdres10> writes:
>Still, on the great assembly-language vs. direct-to-object debate, I
>still must conclude that emitting assembly language slows things down
>a lot. This is especially true on microcomputers, with their slow disk
>drives, which is why most microcomputer compilers directly emit object
>files.

One solution that I have worked on is to emit a hybrid assembler / object
file. For instance if the assember source was to be

mov d7,-(a7)

then the object for this can be generated by the compiler as a 16 bit word,
whereas for something like

bcc L42

the compiler emits the assembler as shown.

Now you have the advantage of assembler / HLL mixing, and IF you want to
mess with the assembler, a separate translator will convert from the
hybrid language to full assembly in a twinkle; however you still keep the
advantage of much less disk I/O: the 'mov' above is 14 bytes, against the
2 bytes for the assembled output - this probably means about a 60% saving
in file being processed.
--
dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough