Compilers producing assembly language

uiucdcs!gatech!emory!arnold (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC})
24 Nov 87 17:08:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers producing assembly language uiucdcs!gatech!emory!arnold (1987-11-24)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language harvard!drilex!dricej (1987-11-29)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language allegra!utzoo!henry (1987-12-03)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language gla@nixpbe.UUCP (1987-12-02)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language haddock!csun!aeusesef (1987-12-06)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language atbowler@orchid.waterloo.edu (1987-12-09)
Re: Compilers producing assembly language rcd@ico.isc.COM (1987-12-10)

From: uiucdcs!gatech!emory!arnold (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC})
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Nov 87 17:08:51 GMT

This may or may not reopen and old debate that I don't know about...

How many compilers in "the real world" produce assembly language instead
of relocatable binary? I know that almost all standard (i.e. from a vendor)
Unix compilers first produce assembly language. I don't know about some
of the more exotic Unix machines such at UTS, Cray Unix or systems where
the C compiler was first written for a different OS (e.g. DG). What about
second party Unix compilers, e.g. Greenhills, Tartan Labs?

What I'm really after is:

1) Are there a lot of Unix compilers that don't produce assembly?

2) Are there common non-Unix compilers that do produce assembly?

3) [The $64,000 question:] Given that one's assembler (like 'as' on
      Unix) does not have a lot of extra overhead (macros etc.), is there
      still that big a win in generating relocatable binary directly?
--
Arnold Robbins
ARPA, CSNET: arnold@emory.ARPA BITNET: arnold@emory