Lex and Yacc - Availability?

cullvax!drw@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dale Worley)
12 Aug 87 14:27:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lex and Yacc - Availability? cullvax!drw@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (1987-08-12)
Re: Lex and Yacc - Availability? harvard!seismo!elsie!ncifcrf!randy (1987-08-17)
Re: Lex and Yacc - Availability? vern%lbl-helios@lbl-rtsg.arpa (Vern Paxson) (1987-08-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: cullvax!drw@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dale Worley)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Aug 87 14:27:53 GMT

I'm building a compiler for Algol 68, which presents some interesting
tokenizing and parsing problems. Right now, I'm using a p.d. Lex, but
I've heard bad things said about Lex in general, usually that it's
slow. Does anyone out there know of a (semi-)p.d. Lex-type program
that is better? Or, more generally, is there a truly better way to
tokenize?

As far as Yacc goes, it seems to me that the power of LALR vs. LL
parsing, and the fact that it is table-driven are big wins, over and
above the development advantages. (Table-driven gives you: smaller
parsers for large languages, accessibility of the entire parse state
for error diagnostics, ability to build other tools that use the same
tables (e.g., for debugging the grammar)) People like to claim that
Yacc is slow, but has anyone really investigated this?
--
Dale Worley Cullinet Software ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw