Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"?

Eugene Miya N. <eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa>
Wed, 6 May 87 20:36:31 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? fouts@orville (1987-04-17)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? allegra!utzoo!henry (1987-04-22)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? think!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!decwrl!mips!sjc (1987-04-23)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? harvard!seismo!watmath!orchid!atbowler (Alan T. Bowler [SDG]) (1987-04-26)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (1987-05-06)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? allegra!utzoo!henry (1987-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 20:36:31 pdt
From: Eugene Miya N. <eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers

[In reference to machines with hardware or software assistance for
instruction tracing and counting... ]

Sorry, I am just catching up with last changed groups.
I have never run on a Honeywell machine. The best machine I have seen
(not perfect, but pretty nice) is a Cray X-MP with its Hardware
Performance Monitor. We have proposed a session at the Cray User Group
meeting in Tokyo, Japan, Fall 1988 on this topic for those interested
(like LANL). The HPM is like an atomic clock (well not quite, but it
hums nicely) to an old wind-up clock (like a VAX [lots of skew]).

%A John L. Larson
%T Multitasking on the CRAY X-MP-2 Multiprocessor
%J Computer
%I IEEE
%V 17
%N 7
%D July 1984
%P 62-69
%K Hardware-software interface: effect on performance
%X A summary of the paper on Multitasking FORTRAN. It uses subroutine
calls and arrays to START, WAIT, LOCK processes and signal (POST) EVENTS.
The paper does not mention deadlock or blocking.

>From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
    NASA Ames Research Center
    eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
    "Send mail, avoid follow-ups. If enough, I'll summarize."
    {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene