re:re: parsing C

Paul Tarvydas <toronto.edu!tarvydas@csri>
Thu, 11 Dec 86 11:48:33 est

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re:re: parsing C toronto.edu!tarvydas@csri (Paul Tarvydas) (1986-12-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: mod.compilers
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 86 11:48:33 est
From: Paul Tarvydas <toronto.edu!tarvydas@csri>

Silly me. Like yourself, I've never seen a practical parser which is
a time bottle-neck. I *meant* to say that I was worried about space-
efficiency. I had thought that building a parser by hand would result
in a smaller compiler - the trade-off being the time taken to build and
debug such a beast. Now I'm not so sure, since by the time I
annotate the recursive-descent code with enough flags to be able to make
interesting semantic distinctions of the parse, I might end up with about
the same amount of code. Any comments on that front?

thank you,
Paul Tarvydas
...utcsri!tarvydas