Re: LL(1) compiler generating tools

Dirk Craeynest <harvard!seismo!prlb2!kulcs!dirk>
Fri, 26 Sep 86 15:33:34 -0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: LL(1) compiler generating tools harvard!seismo!prlb2!kulcs!dirk (Dirk Craeynest) (1986-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: mod.compilers
From: Dirk Craeynest <harvard!seismo!prlb2!kulcs!dirk>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 86 15:33:34 -0200

At the department of computer science, here at the University of Leuven,
an ELL(1) compiler generator was developed under the name LILA
(Language Implementation LAboratory). The generated compilers were
written in Pascal. You may find more information on LILA in:

Lewi, J., De Vlaminck, K., Huens, J., Steegmans, E.;
A Programming Methodology in Compiler Construction.
Part2: Implementation;
North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1982.

What follows is the abstract of an article on LILA in

"Microcomputers: Developments in Industry, Business and
Education";
D.R. Wilson and C.J. van Spronsen (eds.);
(c) Euromicro, 1983;
Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. (North-Holland).

------- abstract -------
This paper describes a programming methodology in compiler construction.
This methodology is supported by the translator writing system LILA.
LILA and its underlying methodology promote the modular design and
implementation of compilers. The main characteristic of LILA, which is
responsible for this modularity, is related to the technique of syntax-
directed compiler description. Such a description mainly consists of a
number of so-called translation syntax modules. Semantic actions,
attribute handling, object (constants, variables, types, procedures and
functions) declarations and error recovery information can be specified
local to each translation syntax module. LILA also supports the
development of multi-pass compilers, each pass being described in a
syntax-directed way. One of the major design goals was to build a
compiler writing system, which can be used in all its generative power,
but which also allows a high degree of user interaction.
--- end of abstract ----

There now is an industrial version of LILA, called MIRA, with a number
of extensions and enhancements. Three MIRA products are supported,
generating Pascal, Ada or C programs. For each of this products, there
is a MIRA version to produce batch compilers, and a MIRA version to
produce interactive ones. In our research, we are mostly using the
MIRA-Pascal and MIRA-Ada system.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions. [Respond to
him, not to the compilers list, please, unless of general interest. -John]

| Name: Dirk Craeynest | K. U. Leuven |
| E-mail: dirk@kulcs.UUCP or | Department of Computer Science |
| ...!mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!dirk| Celestijnenlaan 200 A |
| Phone: +(32) 16-200656 x3555 | B-3030 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium|