Looking for a garbage collection paper

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com>
Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:29:24 -0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a garbage collection paper spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras) (2022-09-20)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper robert@prino.org (Robert Prins) (2022-09-21)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras) (2022-09-23)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-09-23)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper drb@ihatespam.msu.edu (2022-09-23)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2022-09-29)
Re: Looking for a garbage collection paper gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-09-29)

From: Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 20 Sep 2022 11:21:19 EDT

The book "Garbage collection: algorithms for automatic dynamic memory
management" by Jones and Lins starts describing on page 197 a concurrent
garbage collection algorithm by Leslie Lamport and concludes on page 198 with
: "This colour change is done in a single instruction by an ingenious
reinterpretation of colour values by incrementing the value of a base colour
modulo 3: interested readers should consult [Lamport, 1976] for more
details."

Ok ; if it's ingenious , I want to read it. The reference is

        Leslie Lamport
        Garbage Collection with Multiple Processes: an Exercise in Parallelism
        Proceedings of the 1976 International Conference on Parallel Processing,
        T. Feng, ed., 50-54.

I did a bit of googling , arrived at
http://lamport.azurewebsites.net/pubs/pubs.html and it says "No electronic
version available". The entry on the page for the above paper references
"On-the-fly Garbage Collection: an Exercise in Cooperation" and I have
downloaded that but ideally I would also like to see the above paper. So I
was wondering whether anyone has a copy. If the algorithm is not too long ,
perhaps they can post it here (as pseudocode) ; or , if they are willing to
scan the paper , contact Lamport and ask him if he would like a scanned
version which he can put on his website.