Re: Some questions about recursive descent?

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:43:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Some questions about recursive descent? johann@myrkraverk.com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2022-02-27)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-02-27)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2022-02-28)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2022-02-28)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? alain@universite-de-strasbourg.fr.invalid (Alain Ketterlin) (2022-02-28)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? johann@myrkraverk.invalid (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2022-03-01)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2022-03-01)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? alain@universite-de-strasbourg.fr (Alain Ketterlin) (2022-03-01)
Re: Some questions about recursive descent? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2022-03-02)
Re:Some questions about recursive descent? xdpascal@xdpascal.com (Paul Robinson) (2022-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:43:39 GMT
Posted-Date: 28 Feb 2022 10:56:12 EST

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> writes:
>My first question is: how are production recursive descent parsers con-
>structed? From these two books, and other things I have read in the
>past, recursive descent is so simple it's mostly just brushed off with
>an example or two, but there seems to be a whole lot more to it. For
>instance, [Appel] mentions a parse table but mostly does not explain how
>to construct one.

I don't know what such a table would be good for. My parser generator
Gray <https://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/gray.zip>, which
generates recursive-descent parsers, certainly does not need one.

The way Gray works is: It computes first and follow sets for all nodes
in the grammar; follow sets are only used for computing first sets and
for reporting conflicts, first sets are used for deciding how to
parse. It generates code as follows:

grammar code
terminal if sym in first(terminal) then sym=scan(); else syntax_error(); end
a b code(a) code(b)
a|b if sym in first(a) then code(a); else code(b); end
a? if sym in first(a) do code(a); end
a* while sym in first(a) do code(a); end
a+ do code(a) while sym in first(a)
nonterm call(function(nonterm))
action action

a?, a* and a+ are regular right part grammar (RRPG) syntax; they
correspond to [a], {a} and a{a} respectively in EBNF.

>Second question: why are recursive descent parsers I've come across
>always using globals and construct code and/or the parse tree as side
>effects, rather than, say, return the parse tree to the caller?

I have no explanation for the case of constructing the parse tree;
that's trivial to do by returning it.

Concerning code generation, constructing it as a string is inefficient
with the conventional string representation (array of chars), because
concatenation takes time proportional to the length of the string
(likewise, if you generate machine code or virtual machine code as an
array of bytes). You can now add an unconventional string
representation (e.g., a rope), but that still consumes memory; or you
just use side effects for outputting the code.

The disadvantage of the latter is that once you have output the code,
you cannot take it back (or at least not easily), while with strings
you can arrange the code for the nodes in a different than processing
order, have the code for a node several times etc. without introducing
additional complications in your compiler.

> Is this something to do with /synthesized attributes/ that [Holub]
>talks about? Where the recursive descent parser routines return values
>to the caller

Synthesized attributes are trivial to pass along in recursive-descent
parsers by returning them. You can also trivially do L-attributed
grammars by passing attributes inherited from left of a nonterminal as
parameters to a rule.

> Then I ran into trouble when I tried to make the parser return
>the parse tree, rather than construct it with side effects.
> Granted, some of my problems are from using a programming language,
>ML, that I'm not familiar with

I would expect that returning the parse tree is easier in ML than
using side effects (especially if you are unfamiliar with ML, because
literature about ML probably does not explain side effects early on).

If you found the literature you have read up to now to be not
satisfactory, maybe Wirth's compiler book is more to your taste. IIRC
he explains how to write a recursive-descent parser for PL/0 (a simple
Pascal-like language).

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl