Re: Parsing multiple inputs, was Why no shift-shift conflicts?

Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:42:54 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why no shift-shift conflicts? costello@mitre.org (Roger L Costello) (2022-01-25)
Re: Why no shift-shift conflicts? 480-992-1380@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2022-01-28)
Re: Why no shift-shift conflicts? anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2022-01-28)
Re: Parsing multiple inputs, was Why no shift-shift conflicts? tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2022-01-28)
Re: Parsing multiple inputs, was Why no shift-shift conflicts? anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2022-01-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:42:54 +0000

On 28/01/2022 10:13, I wrote:
>     I suppose there is no conceivable use for a parsing process
> that operates on several collateral input streams? [...]
> [It seems pretty exotic.  The obvious first question is whether you can
> combine the multiple input streams in a prepass and parse them as one. -John]

You can; /unless/ there are unresolved shift/shift conflicts!
I suppose a more useful obvious question would be whether there are any
real-life applications for collateral multiple input streams. There are
certainly uses for multiple inputs; but these are usually resolved by
some mechanism such as interrupts or polling, rather than by parsing,
and the streams are handled separately rather than stitched together.
It's possible that there is a chicken-egg situation; no-one thinks of
"compiling" multiple streams because there are no tools to do it, as
there are no applications that anyone has thought of for it.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
        Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music