Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques?

jan van katwijk <j.vankatwijk@gmail.com>
Tue, 12 Oct 2021 17:59:50 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? costello@mitre.org (Roger L Costello) (2021-10-11)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? ak@akkartik.com (Kartik Agaram) (2021-10-11)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2021-10-12)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? j.vankatwijk@gmail.com (jan van katwijk) (2021-10-12)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2021-10-12)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2021-10-14)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? 480-992-1380@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2021-10-16)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2021-10-16)

From: jan van katwijk <j.vankatwijk@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 17:59:50 +0200

I have - long time ago - written al Algol 60 to C translator.
Not one where "some intermediate machine" is defined and implemented in C,
but each Algol 60 construct is mapped upon - hopefully - semantically
equivalent C constructs.

Looking at the translation process it is just a simplified compiler,
which a parser, a scan for name resolution, a scan to generate an
include file and a scan to map Algol procedures to C procedures.

Apart from handling by name parameters, to be mapped into (almost)
parameterless procedures, to function parameters (in Algol one does
not specify the parameter profile of a formal procedure parameter) and
- to a certain extent - switches and labels as parameter, it is fairly
straight forward (extensive description is available, see "
https://github.com/JvanKatwijk/algol-60-compiler).

I would not give it another name than translator or compiler.

Of course mapping any language to any other language may give
problems, in the 80-ies we made a subset A60 to Ada translator, and
direct mapping of by name parameters and things like non-local gotos
is not well possible (but then, the programs that needed to be
translated was simply structured, apart from a few goto's no big
problems)

jan