Re: Algorithm Optimization

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Sun, 20 Dec 2020 22:45:16 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Algorithm Optimization gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization richard.nospam@gmail.com (Richard Harnden) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2020-09-17)
Re: Algorithm Optimization tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2020-09-17)
Re: Algorithm Optimization minforth@arcor.de (A. K.) (2020-09-21)
Re: Algorithm Optimization DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2020-12-13)
Re: Algorithm Optimization gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2020-12-20)
Re: Algorithm Optimization johann@myrkraverk.com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2021-04-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 22:45:16 -0800 (PST)

On Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 3:16:03 PM UTC-8, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

(snip on algorithmic optimization)

> > [I think the usual way to do this is to provide a way to express higher level
> > algorithms in your programming language so the compiler doesn't have to try
> > to reverse engineer them. -John]

> What's the best language to express algorithms in?
> Or, how many languages claim that already...

C has qsort(). While the name seems to suggest quicksort, that isn't
a requirement of the implementation. It does suggest an algorithm
independent way to write programs that need sorting.

Java has classes like List, and subclasses like ArrayList and LinkedList.
One can write a program using List, and easily switch later between
ArrayList, LinkedList, or any other implementation of List.

Hopefully, in addition to the specific cases supplied, these suggest
ways to implement new problems independent of the specific
underlying algorithm.

But the urge to reinvent solutions to already solved problems is
sometimes too great.