Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ?

Lasse =?iso-8859-1?q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp+news@toft-hp.dk>
24 Apr 2020 16:21:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? borucki.andrzej@gmail.com (Andy) (2019-12-22)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (Lasse =?iso-8859-1?q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen) (2019-12-23)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2019-12-23)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2019-12-23)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (Lasse =?iso-8859-1?q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen) (2020-04-24)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? 773-297-7223@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2020-04-24)
Re: How change grammar to equivalent LL(1) ? Silas8642@hotmail.co.uk (silas poulson) (2020-11-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp+news@toft-hp.dk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Apr 2020 16:21:04 GMT
Posted-Date: 24 Apr 2020 12:42:38 EDT

I know this is a very late reply, however, I sometimes forget to read
Usenet news for a while, I hope the moderator is forgiving.

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 05:57:50 -0500, Christopher F Clark wrote:

> Just a slight comment on what Lasse Hillerĝe Petersen
> <lhp+news@toft-hp.dk> wrote:

> is called left-factoring.

I am aware, however the point was having the refactored action return a
function to adjust the direction of the parse tree. I am sure LISPers and
Schemers wouldn't consider this anything special (so ordinary perhaps
even, that I hadn't been able to find any written mention of it, until
today), but when I wrote it back in 2017 I looked at my code and thought
"hey, that's actually neat and general."

Only today did I actually manage to find a paper, which, although I am
very rusty in the matter of formal proofs and theory, being just an
amateur hacker, to me reads like the theory behind "my" method:

Thielecke, Hayo. (2012). Functional semantics of parsing actions, and
left recursion elimination as continuation passing. PPDP'12 - Proceedings
of the 2012 ACM SIGPLAN Principles and Practice of Declarative
Programming. 91-102. 10.1145/2370776.2370789.

> By the way, "Opt" is the usual suffix for Ety.

Not in the Algol68 Reports IIRC. ;-)

/Lasse
[Your moderator tends to draw the line at replies to messages
posted 15 or 20 years ago, generally via Google Groups. -John]