Re: Languages with optional spaces

mertesthomas@gmail.com
Sun, 19 Apr 2020 04:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Languages with optional spaces drikosev@gmail.com (Ev. Drikos) (2020-03-01)
Re: Languages with optional spaces christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2020-03-02)
Re: Languages with optional spaces drikosev@gmail.com (Ev. Drikos) (2020-03-02)
Re: Languages with optional spaces gah4@u.washington.edu (2020-03-02)
Re: Languages with optional spaces drikosev@gmail.com (Ev. Drikos) (2020-03-12)
Re: Languages with optional spaces gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2020-04-14)
Re: Languages with optional spaces mertesthomas@gmail.com (2020-04-19)
Re: Languages with optional spaces aston.goldsmith@gmail.com (2020-05-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mertesthomas@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 04:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

On 19/02/2020 17:35, Maury Markowitz wrote:
> I'm trying to write a lex/yacc (flex/bison) interpreter for classic BASICs
> like the original DEC/MS, HP/DG etc. I have it mostly working for a good chunk
> of 101 BASIC Games (DEF FN is the last feature to add).
>
> Then I got to Super Star Trek. To save memory, SST removes most spaces, so
> lines look like this:
>
> 100FORI=1TO10

You should take a look at Bas7 a Basic interpreter that I wrote years ago
(see http://seed7.sourceforge.net/scrshots/bas7.htm).

At this page I describe the different approaches I use to execute old Basic
programs. Missing spaces is just one of the problems.

I created Bas7 exactly for the purpose to execute Basic programs from the
Book "Basic computer Games" from David H. Ahl.

The Bas7 interpreter is written in Seed7. So you need to download Seed7
to use Bas7, but this should not be a big problem. There is an installer at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7/files/bin/seed7_05_20191117_win.exe/download

The installer is for Windows. For Linux you can download the source from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7/files/latest/download

The file seed7/src/readme.txt describes what to do under Linux. Basically
you switch to the seed7/src directory and do a make depend; make

Regards,
Thomas Mertes