Re: Optimization techniques and consistent results

David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:31:45 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Optimization techniques martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2019-04-26)
Re: Optimization techniques and consistent results david.brown@hesbynett.no (David Brown) (2019-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:31:45 +0200

On 26/04/2019 20:46, Martin Ward wrote:
> On 25/04/19 20:58, David Brown wrote:
>> It is a serious mistake to mix up "defined behaviour" and "correct
>> behaviour".  Only defined behaviour can be correct, but you can't fix
>> incorrect code by making it defined behaviour.
>
> "Defined behaviour" *can* be "correct behaviour"
> "undefined behaviour" can *never* be correct and therefore
> must be avoided at all costs.

Yes - that is what I said, just worded slightly differently (and perhaps
in a better way).

> You dismiss cases of security holes due to undefined behaviour
> as "just program bugs, because programmers didn't do the right thing".

Yes. I can't see why they should be considered differently. Bugs of
any sort can have any kind of effect - ranging from no noticeable issue
to serious security breaches. I am not happy with the idea that some
bugs are minor and some are serious because of the nature of the bug -
the seriousness depends on the effect of the bug, not the cause.

> The C ANSI standard is over 500 pages long and includes 199
> different cases of undefined behaviour. A quick quiz:
> without referencing the standard, how many of the 199 cases
> of undefined behaviour can you list off the top of your head?
> Remember: a *good* programmer (one that you would describe
> as an engineer who knows what they are doing) must avoid
> all 199 cases of undefined behaviour in every line of code
> that they write.

That is getting things backwards. My job as a programmer is not to know
what code I write has undefined behaviour so that I don't write it - my job is
to know what code has /defined/ behaviour, so that I can stick to it.
More precisely, my job is to stick to code that I know has defined
behaviour - referring to documentation as needed.

For example, I don't know any details about the mbrtoc16 function. I
even had to look up its name just now - my coding does not involve any
multi-byte character work. I can easily avoid any undefined behaviour
for this function by not using it. If I needed the function, then it is
my responsibility to read the documentation, find out what the
requirements and preconditions of the function are, and ensure that
these are satisfied before calling it. That is all that is needed -
fulfil the preconditions to functions (or operators) that you use.

A good programmer does not need to know /everything/ about a programming
language or its libraries - but he/she does need to know how to use the
bits of the language that they are using.

Understanding the defined and undefined parts of basic arithmetic are,
however, reasonable demands of any programmer of a language. A great
deal of C programs can be written without using the multi-byte character
support, but very few can be written without doing signed integer
arithmetic.

> Dijkstra wrote this in his ACL Turing Award Lecture in 1972:
>
> "Using PL/1 must be like flying a plane with 7000 buttons, switches
> and handles to manipulate in the cockpit.  I absolutely fail to see
> how we can keep our growing programs firmly within our intellectual
> grip when by its sheer baroqueness the programming language -- our
> basic tool, mind you! -- already escapes our intellectual control."
>
> Note that even knowing that there is undefined behaviour, you still
> may not be able to avoid it by testing for its occurrence: the
> optimiser might spot that you are testing for undefined behaviour and
> optimise away your test, because it is allowed to assume that the
> undefined behaviour can never happen!  (This is what actually occurred
> in the last example I gave).

No, that does not happen - unless of course the checks themselves are
badly written, with undefined behaviour. There is nothing special about
code that does some checks - it is just code, and if it has undefined
behaviour then you can't expect it to work correctly.

> You say "The trick is to write the tests correctly" but don't tell us
> what clever tricks we can use in order to fool the optimised into
> thinking we are testing for something *other* than undefined behaviour
> and so head it off from optimising away our test.

I'm sorry, I can't quite follow that sentence. If you are suggesting
that you need tricks to fool the compiler, then you are wrong - trying
to fool the compiler always ends in tears. By "the trick", I mean
merely that this is part of the skill of programming. No one said that
programming was always easy.

>  Even if we manage
> this: how can we be sure that the next version of the compiler will
> not include a cleverer optimiser which sees through our trickery and
> optimises away the test once again?  There seems to be an arms race
> between programmers trying to write safe code and compiler writers
> detecting and optimising away their safety nets.

Again, I can't follow your logic here. Are you trying to say that the
only way to avoid undefined behaviour is to use code that has undefined
behaviour to detect the problem? Certainly that is not remotely what I
have been suggesting.