Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux?

alexfrunews@gmail.com
Mon, 5 Sep 2016 17:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-02)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacobnavia) (2016-09-05)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? nemo@invalid.invalid (Nemo) (2016-09-04)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? 221-501-9011@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2016-09-04)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-09-05)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? fw@deneb.enyo.de (Florian Weimer) (2016-09-05)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? alexfrunews@gmail.com (2016-09-05)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? 221-501-9011@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2016-09-06)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-09-06)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? rockbrentwood@gmail.com (2016-09-07)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-12)

From: alexfrunews@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 17:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 05 Sep 2016 21:13:31 EDT

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 12:02:33 PM UTC-7, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> Can I get recommendations for other (free) C compilers besides GCC and CLANG?
> I've been using the revived PCC for gawk development since it's faster
> than GCC, but recently it's developed a bug where it won't compile the
> current (valid) code.
>
> LCC seems to be 32 bit only and requires very manual configuration.
>
> TinyCC is blindingly fast, and can compile gawk, but is broken in that
> it won't diagnose duplicate case statements inside switch. The developers
> don't consider this a problem. So I refuse to use it.
>
> In short, I'm looking for a faster compiler that actually works.

What is preventing you from doing most of development using, say, that
same TinyCC and then, when you think you're done with the round of
changes (bugfixes, improvements, new features) recompiling the coded
with gcc or clang and rerunning the tests to make sure there are no
issues (warnings, real bugs) missed because of the limitations of the
fast compiler? Given the nature of C, I think, it's always beneficial
to try your code with different compilers (and on different platforms)
to uncover portability and other problems.

I'm not recommending my Smaller C compiler because it's more limited
than TinyCC, although it does check for duplicate cases, but there are
a few others you might want to try out (all Windows only, AFAIK):

Pelles C
Digital Mars
Visual C++ Express

Alex