Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI

BartC <bc@freeuk.com>
Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:48:49 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-31)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2016-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: BartC <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:48:49 +0100
Posted-Date: 30 Aug 2016 21:49:53 EDT

On 30/08/2016 02:21, Walter Banks wrote:
> On 2016-08-29 1:52 PM, BartC wrote:
>> I've played with source-to-source translators, and never managed to
>> deal with comments properly and in the end gave up. ...
>

> How we handled the comments on the asm to asm translation was put the
> whole sourceline into in our case a C statement // comment with enough
> parsing information to tie it as well to the generated code. A filter
> (In our case a compiler pragma) reprocessed the listing line. It could
> have been done with a small post processing program quite easily.

I'm mainly familiar with ASM syntax that is strictly line-oriented and
with a flat code structure.

Then comments can either be tied to a particular instruction, or are on
their own line and might be assumed to refer to the next block of
instructions. (But then, they could be continuing a long comment too.)

But I'm not sure what you mean by an ASM to ASM translator; from your
other remarks it sounds like this is an ASM to C translator, where the C
is then compiled to another ASM (presumably with the original comments?).

It still doesn't sound that straightforward when N commented lines in
the source end up as M commented lines in output. And surely sometimes
the comments for the source ASM are meaningless on the target?

--
Bartc