Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques for Ada

Luke A.Guest <laguest@archeia.com>
Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:04:00 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
8-bit processor specific techniques laguest9000@googlemail.com (lucretia9@lycos.co.uk) (2015-09-27)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques for Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A.Guest) (2015-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Luke A.Guest <laguest@archeia.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:04:00 +0100
Posted-Date: 27 Sep 2015 20:14:36 EDT

lucretia9@lycos.co.uk <laguest9000@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [There are plenty of compilers for 8 bit machines, particulary at
> retrocomputing sites, but I don't recall a lot of interesting code
> generation stuff. They tend to have so few registers and be so
> irregular that little of the optimization stuff intended for code
> generation applies. -John]

What I've seen seems to be ad hoc stuff with code gen going done in a pass
or two. This is fine for simple languages like pascal and c, but I'm doing
Ada, so it really needs to be fairly aggressive.

Luke
[I'd think the aggressive stuff would be largely machine independent,
figuring out what's a constant so it can do stuff at compile time
rather than in the code. Once you've done that, adding two numbers
together or deferencing a pointer is pretty much the same in any
language. -John]