Parsing/defining getopt style strings

mtreibton@googlemail.com
Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:51:03 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing/defining getopt style strings mtreibton@googlemail.com (2015-08-17)
Re: Parsing/defining getopt style strings jkallup@web.de (Jens Kallup) (2015-09-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mtreibton@googlemail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 17 Aug 2015 20:24:38 EDT

Hello all,

I have an existing application which uses a lot of YACC for its
configuration file. In trying to stream-line a lot of options, and
for wider changes surrounding the application itself, I'm looking at
trying to define something in YACC which would allow to the inclusion
of getopt style strings.

Is this possible?

By getopt, I mean BSD-style getopt where there's only a single-letter
option. Hence, in terms of what this might look like in the
configuration file itself, I was thinking:

                some_command -ab -c option some_other_option

Where you can see "-ab" in this case are just options, with "-c"
taking an "option", and then "some_other_option" being separate.

Is this even possible, I wonder?

TIA!
[Sure. Find a copy of the 1992 lex&yacc and it was one of our examples.
You'll have to write your own yyinput routine to feed the argument strings
to the parser but that's not hard. -John]