Re: Question about inter-thread stack references

Louis Krupp <lkrupp@nospam.pssw.com.invalid>
Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:28:19 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about inter-thread stack references ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2015-01-15)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references seimarao@gmail.com (Seima Rao) (2015-01-16)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references lkrupp@nospam.pssw.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2015-01-16)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-01-17)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-01-18)

From: Louis Krupp <lkrupp@nospam.pssw.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:28:19 -0700
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2015 02:14:02 EST

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:54:57 -0800, Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
wrote:

>If a process has two or more threads running in it, what are the rules
>regarding one thread referencing memory in a different thread's stack?

>Is anyone aware of language/thread package/hardware rules about required
>semantics for such usage? Is it explicitly permitted, explicitly banned,
>stated to be implementation defined, stated to be undefined, or simply
>not mentioned?

This sounds a bit like what was once known as Burroughs Large Systems
(then Unisys A-Series and now Clearpath or something) architecture. It
had processes, not threads, but processes can be related and can share
data. Every process has a stack, one stack can have a reference into
another stack, and unfortunately, that's about all I can remember at
the moment.

There are architecture reference manuals out there. The data
reference I'm thinking of is called a Stuffed Indirect Reference Word,
which might give you some idea of what you're getting into.

Louis