Re: A Plain English Compiler

"Gerry Rzeppa" <gerry.rzeppa@pobox.com>
Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:05:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: A Plain English Compiler martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2014-10-28)
Re: A Plain English Compiler monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2014-10-28)
Re: A Plain English Compiler DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2014-10-29)
Re: A Plain English Compiler gerry.rzeppa@pobox.com (Gerry Rzeppa) (2014-10-30)
Re: A Plain English Compiler gerry.rzeppa@pobox.com (Gerry Rzeppa) (2014-10-31)
Re: A Plain English Compiler acolvin@efunct.com (mac) (2014-11-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Gerry Rzeppa" <gerry.rzeppa@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:05:26 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Oct 2014 16:31:05 EDT

[The small size of the user base worries me. Over and over, stuff
that seems obvious and natural to a small group of developers turns out
to be strange and baffling to other people. -John]

Granted, Plain English has not yet found its niche. Frankly, we see our
situation as analogous to the Lisa/Macintosh saga. When Steve Jobs attempted
to sell a simple but different machine to seasoned professionals, he failed.
(Seems it's true that "user friendly is what the user is used to.") But when
he attempted to sell an even simpler machine to "the rest of us," he
succeeded. We're thus thinking that the most promising target market for
Plain English / Hybrid Programming is primary school education -- where the
students have nothing to unlearn. Time will tell.

[I'm reminded of Logo, which was a big hit around 1970 teaching kids to
program, then disappeared. We'll see. Re the early history of the
Macintosh, please argue about it in alt.folklore.computers, not
here. -John]