Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 19:43:42 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-30)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2014-07-03)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-07-03)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics wclodius@earthlink.net (2014-07-04)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-07-07)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-07-07)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-07-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 19:43:42 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 07 Jul 2014 21:51:03 EDT

(snip, I wrote)

> Reminds me, I am still intersted in finding the OS/360 Algol W
> compiler. Source or load module.

(snip)

> [As far as I know, the machine readable source was lost. Even with a copy
> of the source, you'll need a copy of PL360, the Algol-flavored assembler it
> was written in. -John]

I wouldn't mind a load module that I could just run. It could also
be disassembled, which, along with the available source listing might
be enough to put together an actual source.

PL/360 is available, I believe both source and load module.

I had the ALGOL W manual about the time (1972) that I was first
learning Fortran. I don't remember by now actually using it.

The thing I do remember is that it allows variable names up to 255
characters long! Compared to six for Fortran IV, that was pretty
surprising.

That, and that my first programs were in B5500 Algol has kept
me interested, besides any historical interest of others.

I did even once ask Wirth, who seems not to have any copies.

(Writing a PL/360 decompiler could also be interesting.)

-- glen
[I found AlgolW source online at the computer history museum, but it was apparently
OCR'ed from listings so who knows how many typo bugs it has. -John]