Re: Is multi-level function return possible?

Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:32:41 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is multi-level function return possible? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-03-11)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? lkrupp@pssw.com (Louis Krupp) (2014-03-11)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-03-11)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? tkowaltowski@gmail.com (Tomasz Kowaltowski) (2014-03-12)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2014-03-13)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk (Bill Findlay) (2014-03-14)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-03-13)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-03-14)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2014-03-14)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-03-14)
Re: Is multi-level function return possible? kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-03-14)

From: Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:32:41 -0700
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2014 13:35:59 EDT

On 3/13/2014 10:05 AM, Anton Ertl wrote:
<snip>

> From what I remember it's truly lexically scoped (and the mechanism
> to implement it is the same as for local variables), but if you want
> to make sure, you can read the spec.
>
> But thinking about it makes me wonder: Can you come up with an
> example that shows the difference? And can you come up with a useful
> example where there is a difference?

The standard practical example is an integration package which takes
an argument function to integrate over the range. The argument
function is not in the scope of the integration package. It may not
even be in the scope of the caller of the integration routine.
Consequently it must use either a closure (so it can be a lambda) or
the function-pointer format must contain a static link pointer as well
as a code pointer. A display doesn't help this.

True closures are more powerful than static nesting, because a closure
can be invoked even when the scope in which it was created has exited,
which cannot be done with static nesting. However this means that the
representation of a closure has unbounded size (and so must use the
heap), whereas static nesting has bounded size, e.g. two pointers. It
also has unbounded lifetime, so it requires garbage collection. As an
alternative, some languages define a poor-man's-lambda that cannot
escape its scope of creation. That lets the PML be allocated on the
stack (an alloca) and requires neither heap nor garbage collection, but
is less powerful than true closures.

In addition, one can create an unbounded number of closures with
different bindings, whereas the number of statically nested functions is
statically bound. In effect, a statically bound function receives its
bindings as global (to it) variables passed by reference, whereas a
closure receives its bindings as arguments passed by value. Thus
statically nested functions have all the well-known issues of passing
arguments via global data, while closures avoid that.

The C++ approach of creating a temporary class to hold the bindings and
then using operator() to invoke the result is a syntactic variant of a
closure rather than of statically nested functions. However, the
temporary class is a nuisance to write, so recent C++ has provided more
convenient syntax to create lambda/closures.