Best tools for writing an assembler?

tpphysik@gmail.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:04:20 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Best tools for writing an assembler? tpphysik@gmail.com (2014-02-18)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? cbergstrom@pathscale.com (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?=) (2014-02-19)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-02-19)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-02-18)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? sebastien.fricker@gmail.com (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien_Fricker?=) (2014-02-19)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? bobduff@TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2014-02-19)
Re: Best tools for writing an assembler? bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2014-02-19)

From: tpphysik@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:04:20 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 18 Feb 2014 23:00:21 EST

Hello,

I want to write an assembler for my own processor architecture. It
would be of middle complexity. What language/tools would you use?
I'm thinking of perl or C++, maybe with some (which?) program library.
What about flex/bison, are those good for this, how hard are they to
use? Once I have written a very simple assembler in C++, but now I
want more functions and proper error messages as well. Thank you for
your help.
[An assembler isn't very different from any other compiler except
that the code generator is a lot simpler. Flex and bison are
well suited for most assembler syntax, write your code in C or C++
as you prefer. (You can probably guess which book I'd recommend.)
There are some reasonable parser tools for Java, Perl, and python
now which could make sense if you don't need your assembler to run
extremely fast. -John]