Re: Green Compiler ?

Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid>
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:59:52 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Green Compiler ? abidmuslim@gmail.com (Abid) (2012-12-20)
Re: Green Compiler ? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-12-23)
Re: Green Compiler ? nmh@t3x.org (Nils M Holm) (2012-12-23)
Re: Green Compiler ? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2012-12-24)
Re: Green Compiler ? z80eu@arcor.de (Peter Dassow) (2012-12-26)
Re: Green Compiler ? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2012-12-27)
Re: Green Compiler ? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid (Joshua Cranmer) (2012-12-27)
Re: Green Compiler ? nmh@t3x.org (Nils M Holm) (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2012-12-28)
Re: Green Compiler ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2012-12-28)

From: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:59:52 -0600
Posted-Date: 28 Dec 2012 10:21:31 EST

On 12/23/2012 3:01 AM, Nils M Holm wrote:
> Abid <abidmuslim@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do we need to change this model and make it
>> three dimensional by adding power axis in the search space?
>
> In principle, I would say that higher execution speed equals more
> grenn-ness. Less time spent dissipating heat means less energy
> consumed.

Power consumption of hardware scales quadratically with respect to
frequency. If you can stand doing computation at lower frequency
scales (at, say, 600 MHz), you will lose far less energy than doing
the equivalent computation at the maximum frequency scale (say, 3
GHz).

In general, minimizing power consumption means utilizing all
components of your computer most effectively. In current homogeneous
computers, the question is rather moot (choice of frequency and cores
to run is a decision of the operating system, and compilers generally
cannot affect this decision. However, the future of computers seems to
be increasing utilization of heterogeneous computation, at which point
we're at a point where research into ways of designing code that can
take advantage of various unconventional hardware (DSPs, GPUs, etc.)
is still ongoing.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth