Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text?

"Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:16:31 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Good practical language and OS agnostic text? compilers@is-not-my.name (2012-04-17)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? redbrain@gcc.gnu.org (Philip Herron) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? alain@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr (Alain Ketterlin) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? compilers@is-not-my.name (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? usenet@rwaltman.com (Roberto Waltman) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? usenet@bitblocks.com (Bakul Shah) (2012-04-18)
Re: Good practical language and OS agnostic text? cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2012-04-19)

From: "Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:16:31 +0100
Posted-Date: 18 Apr 2012 16:44:30 EDT

On 17/04/2012 22:28, compilers@is-not-my.name wrote:
> Guys, I'm having a bear of a time finding a good practical language
> and OS agnostic text on writing a compiler. I'm weak in math and not
> interested in the theoretical details. I want to understand the hows
> and whys of compiler writing.

I always recommend:
A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation
by David R. Hanson and Christopher W. Fraser

If you are weak on math you might have a problem getting your head
around recursion. If you cannot understand recursion your compiler
writing days are finished.

> I think of all the compilers were written in the DOS days and there
> were normal guys writing them, not Nobel math prizewinners. Shirley

In my experience compiler writers are not normal guys, but then I
am a vested interest.

> [Sorry to burst your bubble, but I knew people writing compilers for
> DOS, and they understood parsing theory just fine. Although I agree
> that some compiler texts are more readable than others, the math isn't
> there to be obscure, it's there because understanding how state
> machines and LL and LR work makes writing fast and reliable scanners
> and parsers vastly easier. As far as the language they use for ...]

I would question whether it is necessary to have any deep knowledge
of parsing theory. Some knowledge of state machines is useful for any
kind of software development.

I would add my voice to the previous posters who suggested our
moderator's book, flex & bison.