Go version 1 is released

Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@gmail.com>
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:21:28 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Go version 1 is released rui.maciel@gmail.com (Rui Maciel) (2012-03-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.programming
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:21:28 +0100
Posted-Date: 29 Mar 2012 04:53:22 EDT

Go version 1 is released

Today marks a major milestone in the development of the Go programming
language. We're announcing Go version 1, or Go 1 for short, which defines a
language and a set of core libraries to provide a stable foundation for
creating reliable products, projects, and publications.

official blog post available at:
http://blog.golang.org/2012/03/go-version-1-is-released.html

Excerpts:
- The driving motivation for Go 1 is stability for its users. People who
write Go 1 programs can be confident that those programs will continue to
compile and run without change, in many environments, on a time scale of
years. Similarly, authors who write books about Go 1 can be sure that their
examples and explanations will be helpful to readers today and into the
future.
- Forward compatibility is part of stability. Code that compiles in Go 1
should, with few exceptions, continue to compile and run throughout the
lifetime of that version, even as we issue updates and bug fixes such as Go
version 1.1, 1.2, and so on. The Go 1 compatibility document explains the
compatibility guidelines in more detail.

What are your thoughts on Google's new programming language? Is it a much
needed addition to the computer world? Does it scratch an itch which no
other programming language scratches that well? Or is it just yet another
programming language to add to the ever increasing universe of programming
languages?

Rui Maciel