Re: Parser generator for PL/I

"robin" <robin51@dodo.com.au>
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 02:00:05 +1100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Parser generator drb@msu.edu (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator for PL/I robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-01-15)
Re: Parser generator for PL/I drb@ihatespam.msu.edu (2012-01-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "robin" <robin51@dodo.com.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 02:00:05 +1100
Posted-Date: 14 Jan 2012 15:16:48 EST

Have you looked at XPL?

The output is almost PL/I.

The XPL translator-writing system consists of a compiler, XPL, a
grammar analysis program that accepts a definition of the desired
language expressed in BNF, and other tools. The analyser produces the
required parse tables etc.

Details are contained in McKeeman, Horning, and Wortman,
"A Compiler Generator", published by Prentice-Hall in 1971.

For more info on the history of the system, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPL

One of the URLs there is a link to XPL software.
A PL/I version of the XPL compiler is available.

The Analyser could be readily modified to produce its output in PL/I,
(and of course, the output--which is in XPL--could in any case be modified
as it it reasonably close to PL/I anyway).