Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler

Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:30:03 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler willem@toad.stack.nl (Willem) (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pats@acm.org (Patricia Shanahan) (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) (2011-04-11)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler rpboland@gmail.com (Ralph Boland) (2011-04-11)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler hiramegl@hotmail.com (HiramEgl) (2011-04-11)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler hiramegl@hotmail.com (HiramEgl) (2011-04-12)

From: Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers,comp.editors
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:30:03 -0700
Posted-Date: 11 Apr 2011 11:30:01 EDT

On 4/8/2011 2:39 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> HiramEgl schrieb:
>
>> Therefore, I see all these elements as branches and leaves of a big
>> tree-structure (the SOURCE-STRUCTURE).
>
> Where do you want to start and stop building that tree?
>
> To start you need kind of a project, that contains a number of source
> modules, which then refer to other modules or interfaces, depending on
> the source language; C uses #include for importing external
> declarations, Pascal dialects have "uses" for the same purpose. How
> shall your editor find the related files? In the case of C, where
> shall your editor find the definitions, related to the imported
> declarations? At least you'll need according parsers, for every
> supported language and compiler.
>
> Do you want to recurse down into every additional external
> declaration, including all libraries used in the project? In the case
> of Free Pascal this requires to add not only a compiler attribute and
> related search pathes to the configuration, but also for the target
> machine, OS and (Lazarus) widgetset.
>
> Your approach looks nice, as soon as such a structure tree exists, but I
> see the biggest problems just in the construction of that tree.

I think the import issue is important, but so is export.

I would not start using such a system without being certain I could
recover the file view of my code any time I needed it. Moreover, a
programmer might want to combine the IDE with file orientated tools such
as an existing revision control system.

The IDE would need smooth, reliable, efficient import and export to
stand any chance of widespread adoption.

Patricia