Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Sat, 09 Apr 2011 00:17:12 +0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler hiramegl@hotmail.com (HiramEgl) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler cbergstrom@pathscale.com (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?=) (2011-04-09)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2011-04-08)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) (2011-04-10)
Re: New editor/Integrated Development Environment/compiler willem@toad.stack.nl (Willem) (2011-04-10)

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 00:17:12 +0700
Posted-Date: 10 Apr 2011 14:42:35 EDT

HiramEgl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Hiram and I would like to know if somebody is interested in
> joining the development of a new kind of editor/Integrated Development
> Environment/compiler.
>
> I'm not happy with the current free (or open-source) alternatives that
> I've found. I think that all those tools (Eclipse, NetBeans, QtCreator,
> Emacs, Vim, ...) have in the bottom the same problem: they work with
> directories, files and text.

I love threads like this - It will surely diverge quickly into an editor
war, but before that happens..

An IDE imho is all about one thing - productivity
------
With that in mind can you give a clear language specific example how
your idea will enable the developer to do something more efficiently and
faster. In Fortran, C or C++ where do you think the most time is spent?

For Java I found IntelliJ to really raise the bar in terms of being
helpful and "intelligent". That level of language integration I think
is a cornerstone to start with. From there figure out other usability
elements which cause you to not be happy. Take $IDEOFCHOICE - strip
the interface down and see what tasks you'd most commonly perform..

You need to clearly define the problem before you can really get to the
root and solve it.

Thanks

./C

(Feel free to email me directly if you're willing to start from a
QtCreator base and try to significantly improve certain aspects)