Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile?

"Tony" <nospam@myisp.net>
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:37:15 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? ehog.hedge@googlemail.com (chris dollin) (2011-01-22)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? nospam@myisp.net (Tony) (2011-01-22)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? bc@freeuk.com (Bartc) (2011-01-23)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? steshaw@gmail.com (Steven Shaw) (2011-01-24)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2011-01-24)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? nospam@myisp.net (Tony) (2011-01-24)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? thomas.mertes@gmx.at (tm) (2011-01-24)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? eh@electrichedgehog.net (Chris Dollin) (2011-01-26)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? bc@freeuk.com (Bartc) (2011-01-26)
Re: Intermediate forms (again?): worthwhile? cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2011-01-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Tony" <nospam@myisp.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:37:15 -0600
Posted-Date: 26 Jan 2011 12:17:08 EST

chris dollin wrote:
> "Tony" <nospam@myisp.net> said:
>
>> I am surprised (kinda) to see how many people consider C a suitable
>> compile-to language when it really is only good for C-derivatives.
>> C++ is one of those, so cfront was adequate, for awhile. For
>> languages that depart from C-likeness, it is not suitable at all.
>
> The language Pepper I designed as a Pop11-derivative can be thought of
> as "Lisp with an open stack" and I had a reasonable Pepper-to-C
> implementation. "Not suitable at all" seems a bit of a stretch.

Well, do tell what Pepper I has in common with C then. What compromises
were made to the design because of the choice of implementation?

I shouldn't have said "C-likeness", but rather "some C-likeness".
Obviously one can make a drastic departure from C and still compile to
C, but somewhere there is a "line" or "lines" where the implementation
affects the design. I pondered that the type system is one of those
lines of demarcation. Also, it may not be that it is not doable in C,
but rather that it is not practical, not elegant, etc.