Publications on region based and C++ specific optimizations

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:19:11 +0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Publications on region based and C++ specific optimizations cbergstrom@pathscale.com (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?=) (2011-01-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:19:11 +0700
Posted-Date: 23 Jan 2011 21:35:09 EST

Hi all

I'm doing some side research and looking for more published
information on region based optimization and anything C++ language
specific.

In the late 90's someone from SGI started and never was able to get
region based optimization to production levels. Later Roy Ju while
working on the ORC project did some work, but I'm not sure it ever
went production. More recently I see some something in LLVM, but it's
not quite what I'm looking for since (afaik) it's analysis only.
Anyone have any insightful publications or notes they'd like to share?

For C++ 2003 there's the typical (N)RVO/copy elision optimizations
which happen in the front-end, but what about
middle/backend/interprocedural? I'm interested in primarily 2003, but
also 2008.

I hope my questions make sense and happy to clarify if not.

Thanks

./C