Abstract Interpretation vs DFA in Clang and GCC

Jack Smith <ilikequoting@katamail.com>
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:05:44 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Abstract Interpretation vs DFA in Clang and GCC ilikequoting@katamail.com (Jack Smith) (2011-01-10)
Re: Abstract Interpretation vs DFA in Clang and GCC torbenm@diku.dk (2011-01-17)
Re: Abstract Interpretation vs DFA in Clang and GCC ilikequoting@katamail.com (Jack Smith) (2011-02-09)
Re: Abstract Interpretation vs DFA in Clang and GCC torbenm@diku.dk (2011-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jack Smith <ilikequoting@katamail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:05:44 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2011 00:17:55 EST

Hello everyone,

i'm a University student and i've almost finished my first course of
abstract interpretation. i don't know much about data flow analysis
(DFA), and i'm wondering if it's worth of study it more in deep. (i my
compiler's course with treated the front-end part of the dragon book
only)

since someone says that nowadays it's better abstract interpretation
than DFA can anyone tell me what's the difference among them? does
anybody know what kind of abstract int. (or DFA) techniques are used
in GCC and CLANG compiler?

some people say CLANG semantic analyzer is faster that GCC's one.
could this be related with the fact that CLANG's semantic checks are
weaker? anyway, how can clang be faster than gcc?

thank you!