Question on GLL parsing

David Hollands <D.S.Hollands@cs.rhul.ac.uk>
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:58:09 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question on GLL parsing compiler.ddj@h-rd.org (compiler.ddj@h-rd.org) (2010-11-04)
Question on GLL parsing D.S.Hollands@cs.rhul.ac.uk (David Hollands) (2010-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Hollands <D.S.Hollands@cs.rhul.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:58:09 +0000
Posted-Date: 07 Nov 2010 00:40:10 EDT

The GLL paper given at LDTA'09 describes a recogniser-only version.
There is a journal paper currently in review which extends the
algorithm to allow the construction of full derivation trees and this
has been used as the basis for several implementations. There was also
a paper in last month's SLE conference in Eindhoven which gives a
wealth of implementation detail.

If you'd like preprints of these papers then please email a request to
Adrian at a.johnstone@rhul.ac.uk. We can't yet mount the preprints on
a public server because they have not yet been formally published.

There has been a lot of interest in this new technique: it is very
easy to use and we reckon that is is within a small integer factor of
the speed of our BRNGLR algorithm which is itself a candidate for the
fastest generalised parsing algorithm. Those wanting a broader look at
generalised parsing will find lots of good things in the second
edition of Dick Grune and Ceriel J.H. Jacobs encyclopediac work
'Parsing Techniques'. The first edition is available online, but
predates most recent developments in high speed generalised context
free parsing.

David Hollands on behalf of Adrian Johnstone and Elizabeth Scott.

--
David Hollands BSc Lond, Compiler Group, Department of Computer Science,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, United Kingdom.