Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages

Matthias-Christian Ott <ott@mirix.org>
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:47:04 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2010-06-01)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-06-01)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2010-06-01)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages torbenm@diku.dk (2010-06-02)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2010-06-02)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2010-06-06)
Re: Decidability of Deterministic Context-Free Languages gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-06-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott@mirix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:47:04 +0200
Posted-Date: 01 Jun 2010 18:47:21 EDT

Hi,

it is generally not decidable whether a context-free language is
deterministic. That means it is not decidable whether a grammar is an
LR(k) grammar.

However, a LR(k) parser can indicate conflicts in the parsing table
and detect if a grammar is not a LR(k) grammar. So it can decide
whether a grammar is deterministic context-free.

This seems to be a contradiction. I see the following possibilities
that would resolve it:

a) It is decidable whether a context-free language is deterministic.

b) Not all deterministic context-free languages can be described by an
      LR(k) grammar, in other words LR(k) languages are a subset of
      deterministic context-free languages.

c) Not all context-free grammars which aren't deterministic produce a
      conflict.

a) seems unlikely to be true. I know too little to decide whether b)
and c) are true.

Can someone help me with this?

Regards,
Matthias-Christian