Identifier vs. Name - Static & Dynamic Binding

A L <alapex0310@gmail.com>
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 23:51:02 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Identifier vs. Name - Static & Dynamic Binding alapex0310@gmail.com (A L) (2010-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: A L <alapex0310@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 23:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2010 01:49:18 EDT

What are the differences between identifier and a name? Could you
please list them here in one place. Like we have a virtual function in
a C++ class - can we call it an identifier? When it does bind to an
actual concrete function of a sub-class, is that when it can be called
a name (upon dynamic binding, that is)?

What about passing of actual parameters to formal parameters of a
function? Here as well, if the formal parameter is of a parent class
type and the actual argument is of a sub-class type, the name (actual
argument) would get bound to the formal parameter dynamically, isn't
it? On the other hand, if it is a primitive type such as an int, the
argument would bind with the parameter statically at compile time.

The purpose of this question is for you to help me collect as many,
preferably all, such instances of identifier vs. name bindings - both
static as well as dynamic. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.