How to decide on the meet operator in Data-flow Analysis?

Vivek B <vivekb1985@gmail.com>
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to decide on the meet operator in Data-flow Analysis? vivekb1985@gmail.com (Vivek B) (2010-03-14)
Re: How to decide on the meet operator in Data-flow Analysis? pat@jantar.org (Patryk Zadarnowski) (2010-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vivek B <vivekb1985@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2010 01:08:36 EDT

Dear All,

In an iterative data flow analysis the solution obtained will be less
than or equal to the IDEAL solution

If I am trying to solve the problem in two different approaches -
using two different meet operators (^)

1. where meet operator is U (union)
2. where the meet operator is (intersection)

then the meet over path solutions, MOP1 and MOP2, obtained are both
less than or equal to IDEAL. (being conservative)

MOP1 <= IDEAL

MOP2 <= IDEAL

How can I know which among MOP1 and MOP2 gives a superior result?

Is there a formal way to decide which meet operator has to be used ?

Thank you.

Vivek.