Assigning multiple contiguous registers to a virtual register

shrey <shreyas76@gmail.com>
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:59:32 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assigning multiple contiguous registers to a virtual register shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2010-03-13)
Re: Assigning multiple contiguous registers to a virtual register pronesto@gmail.com (Fernando) (2010-03-15)
Re: Assigning multiple contiguous registers to a virtual register shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2010-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: shrey <shreyas76@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:59:32 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 13 Mar 2010 15:06:07 EST

Hi
          I have seen this being done in multiple compilers. However, am
not sure abt why the compilers choose to do this way.
                  Usually the register allocation does a one to one mapping
between virtual registers and physical registers. If you have virtual
registers that needs multiple physical registers, then you define new
pseudo-names that represent a set of physical registers. Now, you
assign this new pseudo-physical register instead.

My question is what is the motivation here ?

1. Is it that there is no need to do it otherwise? Most program dont
see virtual registers of very different sizes ?

2. Makes it easier. If this is the case, I am curious abt how ? Is it
that dependency information is likely to be too cluttered if there are
no pseudo names ?

thanks
shrey
[I expect this is for architectures where some of the instructions need
register pairs. -John]